Tuesday, August 19, 2008

11:44 AM - Estimated TS gusts & first thunder

This is my blog of Tropical Storm Fay as it passes through my new home of Melbourne, FL.
First, a little background information about myself:
I am a native Floridian and maintain a Florida-themed blog at http://www.minorcan.blogspot.com/.
I have experienced multiple tropical storms and hurricanes over my lifetime.
I am fascinated by the weather (especially hurricanes)
I am a freshman at the Florida Institute of Technology here in Melbourne, majoring in...this won't come as a surprise...meteorology.
I am not an expert on tropical storms, but I know more than most about their behaviors, and am a fairly experience weather observationalist.

Here is an image from the Melbourne NWS WRD-88D Doppler Weather Radar, showing Fay, her path, and my location. This should give you a good idea of the current situation.





As the title of this post suggests, just 10-20 minutes ago, I observed what I believed to be tropical storm forced wind GUSTS. These gusts were associated with a small squall which has now passed, and gusts are back down into the 20-30 MPH range now. Melbourne Int'l Airport reported a gust to 39 MPH at 10:53 AM, just short of TS force, but conditions worsened shortly after that observation.


My school, the Florida Institute of Technology has a weather station located at the top of a dormitory very near where I live. Unfortunately, observations are significantly delayed. Here's the link to those observations, some of which I will be citing in blog posts.


http://my.fit.edu/wx_fit/?q=obs%2Frealtime%2Froberts&rows=24


The characteristic "whistling" and "whining" of a tropical storm/hurricane can be heard during some of the stronger wind gusts now, and more can be expected within the next couple of hours as the storm approaches and the stronger rainbands pass over our area.


I'll have photos and possibly video posted soon.

No comments: